After Closing Buyer’s Checklist
Congrats on your new home! You’ve just closed on your home, Now WHAT???
1. Transfer Taxes in Your Name
Contact the appraisal district to change the tax records into your name.
2. File for Exemption
Contact the appraisal district to file for homestead, over 65, disability exemptions.
- Be sure to ask the Appraisal District about any exemptions to which you may be entitled
- Homestead between January and April following the year home was purchased.
- Over 65 and disability exemptions, file as soon as possible after closing.
- Brazoria County Appraisal District – www.brazoriacad.org – (979) 849-7792
- Galveston County Appraisal District – www.galvestoncad.org – (409) 935-1980
3. Title Policy and Deed
The owner’s title policy and original warranty deed will be mailed to you in a few weeks. If you do not receive it, please call the title company.
4. File Release of Lien
In 15 or 30 years, when you pay off your note, the lender should mail you your Deed of Trust, Note and Release of Lien. The Release of Lien must be filed at the County Clerks Office to remove the lien from your house.
Enjoy your home and please contact me with any questions!